(BPT) – Summertime is all about gathering together and having fun outdoors. The warm sunny days and long, balmy evenings make it easier than ever to enjoy spending quality time with your friends and family. To ensure an easy and nutritious get-together this season, Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist Dawn Jackson Blatner shares some of her tips to help simplify summer entertaining while adding more fun and flavor, too.
1. Pick a theme
To create a memorable gathering and simplify your planning process simultaneously, brainstorm a fun party theme to help coordinate your decorations, refreshments, music and activities. Get creative with themes like “Surfer’s Paradise” or “’80s Night.”
2. Create a seasonal menu
Develop your menu using plenty of seasonal produce. Getting produce that’s in season will be more flavorful and delicious, plus it tends to be on sale and less expensive. There are lots of summertime fruits and veggies that are perfect for parties such as watermelon, berries, corn on the cob, tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans and zucchini.
3. Streamline setup and cleanup
Use non-breakable dishes to keep cookouts safe and fun. If you don’t want to use disposable plates and cups, consider getting a set of washable plastic dishes designed for outdoor use. You can also set out containers labeled for trash and recycling so it’s easy for you and your guests to clean as you go.
4. Bring on the fun and games
Help keep your get-together lively and active with a selection of fun outdoor games that are great for all ages, like wiffleball, croquet or badminton. These games add lots of enjoyment and laughs, plus it gives your party a healthy dose of energizing, feel-good fitness.
5. Choose nutritious, easy-to-prep recipes
The best party food is simple to make, nutritious and tasty for both adults and kids. For the perfect outdoor summer brunch or lunch, try these Tortilla Egg Roll-Ups from Eggland’s Best — they’re an easy hand-held snack that adds protein, nutrients and color to any table spread!
Blatner recommends using Eggland’s Best eggs because they contain six times more Vitamin D to support cognitive wellness, immunity and healthy bones and muscles. They also contain more than double the Vitamin B12, which provides a natural energy boost, 25% less saturated fat and more than double the Omega-3s compared to ordinary eggs.
Prep time: under 5 minutes
Cook time: under 5 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
4 Eggland’s Best Large Eggs
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 whole grain tortillas (6-inch)
Optional mix-ins: finely chopped spinach, tomatoes, bell peppers
1. Over medium heat, warm a 6-inch skillet.
2. In small measuring cup, scramble one Eggland’s Best Egg.
3. Add 1 teaspoon of oil to skillet, pour in the egg, and swirl so it covers the bottom of the pan.
4. Sprinkle on 2 tablespoons of cheese and optional mix-ins.
5. Let egg cook about 30 seconds, or until the bottom is cooked, but the top is still a little wet.
6. Press 1 tortilla right on top of the wet egg, and cook another 30 seconds (the egg and tortilla will stick together.)
7. Using a spatula, flip the egg and tortilla over, and cook another 30 seconds until the egg is fully cooked.
8. Remove from pan, let cool slightly, then roll it.
9. Repeat for remaining eggs and tortillas.
10. Eat immediately or store covered in the fridge for up to four days.
You can even make extras to keep in the freezer for up to three months. For more recipe inspiration for your next gathering, visit EgglandsBest.com.